I put Grant in swimming lessons this spring. I figure the sooner he learns to swim the better. Good thing too! The first day it took about 5 minutes before he would even touch the water with the tip of his finger.
We did two entire months of swimming lessons. It has been so good for him. I think he has a lot more confidence and is more willing to try physical activities.
Two months of lessons is a long time to spend at the pool. We had two different teachers. The change was good for him. The first teacher was a lot more willing to let the child lead. She was great with a cautious child like Grant. The second teacher was a little more aggressive and pushed the kids a little harder. For Grant this was perfect. By the time he had a month or so of swimming lessons he was ready to be pushed a little bit.
Putting his face in the water was the hardest part. He didn't like it much at all. To be quite honest I don't like to do it much either. I am not a fish like my swim team sister. After he put his face in the water the first time we started counting how many times he put his face in during each lesson. It was a lot of swimming lessons, but he passed the first level! Hurray! I took a lot of pictures! I can't believe how much progress he made in two months.
Face in the water one time...
...second time...
...third time...
...and a big smile!
In the water five times...
...and still happy!
Make that six...
...and now we will back float.
This is Grant's FAVORITE part! The kids pretend to be a tree, the teacher "chops" the tree down, and the kids jump into the pool. Grant was a coconut tree today!
Timber!
All the way under!
I counted at least 11 times with his face in the water during this lesson, but then I lost track. Grant was so proud of himself. And I think he has every right to be!







1 comment:
SO FUN!! I'm still wondering if I can find a place for my kids to do swim lessons. We are kind of isolated out here in Rigby.
Post a Comment