Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Fair


At the end of August we went to the FAIR!  We were honestly surprised at how awesome it was.  It was probably the best fair I have ever been too.  It wasn't to incredibly hot and just tons of fun things to do!  So lets get to it...


Thanks to Lagoon Grant loves the Merry-Go-Round.  This one was pretty cool, but not nearly the animal selection at Lagoon.  You were pretty much limited to a horse, if you wanted to go up and down.



Grant thought this was a super cool ride!  These quads, four wheelers, ATV's, or whatever you want to call them went super fast!  He thought it was a riot!  I had to take about 40 pictures before I got some without being blurry.  This ride was really fast!




This smile is a genuine "I am having the time of my life" type of smile!




A quick side note. At Lagoon the ride like this is called "Skallywag."  It is his favorite.  Lucky for us all the other kids think it is a lame ride so Grant can just get back on over and over.  If we are lucky, the ride operator will just let the ride keep going until someone else gets in line.  That makes our day!
This ride is the same concept, but obviously not as cool.





This giant swing was actually pretty fun!  Grant was a little nervous at first but once it got going he was just fine.





They had a sea lion show, that we missed seeing by just a few minutes.  The other cool thing we got to do was catch butterflies.  Honestly, Grant was probably the best at catching butterflies.  He thought they were so cool.  It was fun to see them up close.  One thing we learned is that if you touch their wings with your fingers the oil from our skin "melts" away their wings.  Eventually they will die because they can't fly.  That's why they provided high tech butterfly catching sticks a.k.a. q-tips.


Alright here comes a soap box!




This sacred cattle slash camel creature from India is called a Zebu.  I saw one of these things when I was a child.  I thought it was kind of cool at first, because it was the closest thing I had ever seen with "my name" on it.  (I always wanted my own personalized kid license plate, pencils, stickers, bags, bottles, books, key chains, etc with. my. name. It never happened!)  So these animals were always kind of cool until....


you translate it to SPANISH!  Now look at it.  It has a cute little "dash" over the U, but it is still my name!  I no longer think this is cute or adorable.  I don't appreciate knowing this.  Kyle of course thought it was funny, but he stopped teasing me when he realized it really hurt my feelings. 

In the past people have asked me if I am named after this animal because it has a grand appearance on Veggie Tales.  I will NEVER. EVER. watch Veggie Tales because of it.   I have been called everything in the book:  kuh-buh, See-boo, say-boo, caleb (in high school by my English teacher), boo- see, and a few others.  I know I have expressed my dislike for my name at times.  I really wish I could have a regular name that people can say right, unique would be fine if it was easy to say.  


Alright, moving on....



Grant loved the petting zoo part.  He liked the fact the sheep licked his hand.  He thought it tickled.




This long horn was a true long horn.  Those horns are at least 3 feet apart.



This was my favorite pig!  Look at how big he is!  It was incredible.  I had to pay 50 cents to see him and take a picture.  At that price I thought I better show him off!



2 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

That was a fun post!! That fair does look super awesome. :) LOVE it.

As for names... I can't say I know exactly how you feel, but I have an inkling. Now, I don't think my name is hard to say. Tannie... come on, it looks just like Annie with a T at the beginning. But it is a rare treat when someone reads it aloud and gets it right. Everyone calls me Tawni. What the?? That's not how you say it phonetically, but whatever. I've learned to get over it, but I still think it's weird.

I named my baby Deirdre (said Dear Dree) - I LOVE the name. I didn't make it up, it's Irish. NO ONE gets it right. EVERYONE insists on calling her Deidra (Dee Dra). What? It doesn't even end with an "a". People don't know how to read names. Now that so many people are getting her name wrong, I sort of regret naming her Deirdre. I still LOVE the name, but I worry about her when she's older, being annoyed when people get it wrong. I should have just named her Deidre (Dee Dree) - at least that's somewhat more familiar.

SIGH.

Can I ask a funny question? Why did your parents name you Cebu?

Sierra said...

You saw a Cebu?! Ha ha I remember when I first met you and told you I loved "The song of the Cebu" from Veggie Tales and you just rolled your eyes at me :-)

Tannie, I will answer your question since I know. Her dad served his mission in Cebu, Phillipines. They named her after that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...