Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Little Green Bike

Grant got this awesome green bike for his birthday back in February.  He hadn't been able to ride it until just recently.  If you look closely this bike is missing a key feature: pedals!  This is called a pedal less bike. A physical therapist I work for talked me into getting this type of bike.  The theory behind this bike is that kids learn how to steer and balance first.  Then you introduce pedals and wha-lah!  The kiddo can ride a bike without ever having to use training wheels.  These bikes are pretty popular in Europe and it was a little hard to find one.  (If you want one let me know and I will give you the best place.)
I felt like this would be a good route for Grant.  He is so cautious when it comes to things like this and I figure if we went the "traditional" route we would be about 10 years old before the training wheels ever came off.
He loves riding his bike.  He likes being able to keep up with the older dare devils in the neighborhood.   The more he rides the bike the more comfortable he feels and will start picking up his feet.  This is good since this is how he will learn how to balance.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...