Our stop to the Island of Roatan, Honduras was cancelled because the ocean swells were to big and we couldn't dock. We were bummed because we were planning on going zip lining and shopping. I was totally bummed about missing both! Kyle wasn't as disappointed. We spent the day relaxing on the boat. I spent a good 4-5 hours reading a book on a lounge chair. It was pure heaven!
We were excited to get to Costa Maya. I have always wanted to see Mayan ruins. It has been on my bucket list. So this stop was one of the main reasons we went on the cruise we did. I was so glad it didn't get cancelled.
When we got off the cruise ship there were these guys all dressed up in Mayan costumes. We had our pictures taken with them, but they didn't turn out very good. They are a little blurry because of the humidity that had accumulated on my lens. I love humidity, but I am not used to living in it.
We took a bus ride to the Mayan ruins of Chocchoban. On the way we saw a pineapple farm. I have never seen a pineapple farm and I thought it was so cool.
We saw multiple Mayan Ruins. It was really cool to think they were built in about 600 A.D.
Our tour guide Lizbeth was trying to explain the importance of the tree to the Mayan people. It was very fascinating.
This is a big mound of sticks and trees is another ruin that needs to be excavated.
Another big cool tropical plant.
The steps up the top of the ruin.
The different types of rocks (the flat and round) show how the temples were built over top of each other. The round rocks are the inside walls of smaller temple. The flat rocks are the outside walls of the bigger temple.
This is the view of the jungle from top of the Mayan temple.
Another awesome tropical plant! I love how the bottom of the leaves are a bright purple.
These are the trees the people use to weave together to make roofs. These plants are huge!
Kyle thought this plant was really cool.
This Mayan temple is in the process of being excavated. There are smalls rooms inside of the big temple.
After our tour we got a fresh coconut sliced up by a local man. He put two straws in it and we drank fresh coconut milk. We also bought some fresh pineapple. It was AMAZING!
I thought this shark mural on the ceiling. The shark eyeing all the bottom sinking through tubes. I thought it was cute.
On the pier...sorry about the drunk bums in the back ground.










1 comment:
Those are some beautiful pictures!! That looks amazing.
Post a Comment