Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Hangman's Daughter


The Hangman's DaughterThe Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a great book!   It was so much fun to read this historical fiction.  At the end of the book the author explains what is historically correct and how he was inspired to write this novel.   I really enjoyed the main characters Simon and Jakob.  Jakob was an inspiring character who stood for what he believed in and didn't succumb to the social pressures of being a hangman.  There were some scenes of torture when the town arrest's Martha for witch craft.  I thought it was so tender when Jakob would whisper encouraging words to Martha during the torture. Simon was also a strong character who was willing to stand up to his own father when he felt like things weren't fair, regardless of peer pressure.
There is a sweet romance side story between Simon and the hangman's daughter, hence the title.  I didn't realize how much social qualms about falling in love with the hangman's daughter.  It seems all quite ludicrous in this day and age, but back then I am sure it was a big deal.
I would highly recommend this book.  The story was interesting, easy to follow, and moved quickly.  There was not a single swear word and no graphic sex scenes.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Tannie Datwyler said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I put it on my list. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...