I think we are all familiar with reversed psychology, but I have a new concept reversed parenting. Reversed parenting is when a parenting strategy back fires and instead of the child being the recipient the parent is. Let me give an example.
On Wednesday I had the day off and since it was snowing diagonally Grant and I stayed in the house all day. We played Moon Dough, puzzles, the Wii, Pop-o-Matic Trouble, Uno, Angry Birds, marbles, watched a movie and read a few books. (It was a busy day.)
As dinner time rolled around we were just finishing up playing marbles. I told Grant he needed to put all the marbles in the bag and I would help him put away the rest of the marble set. I left to go defrost some chicken and a few minutes later I hear...
"this is a problem. Ohh, this is a problem."
I respond by asking, "what's the matter Grant?"
"I asked you to help me clean up these marbles and you are not doing it. This is a big problem mom."
"Grant, you only have to pick up the marbles and then I will put the rest of the stuff away."
In a calm "Love and Logic" tone he says, "No, I asked you to help me clean up these marbles. You are not helping me and this is draining my energy."
"I don't want your energy to be gone."
Again in the calm tone, "Well, mom since you aren't helping me and picking up these marbles is really draining my energy. Since you aren't helping me you will have to do something for me so I can get my energy back."
I ask, "Like what? I am cooking dinner."
In a sweet voice he says, "I think if you give me a hug or maybe a kiss that would give me my energy back."
I smile and give me sweet boy a big hug and a kiss!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Can I just say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I love that book - I've read it several times, but I'm not as good at implementing it as I should be. I'll have to do the energy drain, I love that tip. The best part is that Grant is usually it on you. Oh, thanks for sharing!!!
What a smart kid! I can just hear him saying it. Too cute!!
That has got to be my favorite thing he's ever said! Haha! I can only imagine him as a teenager! Oh, I'm so glad you are his mom and I'm your friend so I get an in on these little moments! :)
Post a Comment