Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Grandma Toombs

My sweet Grandma has not been doing well for a few months.  She had a really bad fall right before Celeste was born.  She didn't want to participate in therapy and wasn't getting better.  My Grandma wasn't safe to be left alone and she wasn't able  to take care of herself either.  My mom and Aunt Carol took turns all summer having my Grandma live with them.  It was a full time job!

My Grandma would have good days and than bad days.  We are 99% sure she was having little strokes, but we didn't bother having her diagnosed.  Her overall health was just not good.  By the end of July she was no longer able to carry a conversation and had difficulty recalling family members' names.

By the end of August she was in so much pain and not herself.  We didn't want to say good-bye, but we knew it was her time to go.  Some of our family are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and didn't understand why we were at peace with her passing.  They were upset and wanted us to do more to keep her alive. I am so grateful for my testimony of the Gospel because I know that I will see my Grandma again.  I also know she will no longer be in pain.  I hope she had a wonderful reunion with her first husband who passed away more than 40 years ago.  I also hope she had a joyful reunion with her son who passed away from cancer 10 years ago.  I hope she can convert him to the Gospel because he was a wonderful man.

My Grandma had 14 grandchildren (I was number 8) and 15 great-grandchildren.  (Grant was number 6 and Celeste number 15) She loved every single one of us!  I could go on for hours about all the wonderful memories I have of my Grandma.  Here are a few bullet points:

  • My Grandma would have my cousin Amy and me over for sleepovers when we were younger.
  • At age 13 and older she would take us shopping for our birthdays.  All of us Grandchildren loved these little shopping sprees!
  • My Grandma, my mom, and I went to Europe together after I graduated from high school.
  • Helping my Grandma clean carpets during the summer.  I would help haul hoses while Bernell would clean carpets.
Here are a few My Grandma taught me:
  • How to properly wrap a present and make it look really nice.  
  • She helped teach me my multiplication facts.
  • I have a few yummy recipes from her. She was a great cook!
  • She would always tell me to be a safe driver and to "watch for rocks and deer."
  • My Grandma was classy and always told me it was important to dress nice and have fresh breath.
I may have to share more details on another post.  For now here are a few pictures I found.

My Grandma with 3 great grandchildren. December 2012.

My Grandma with her sister Donna. January 2010

Grand and Evelyn. Thanksgiving 2008.

Grandma, Erin, and I at Grandma's 80th birthday party.  February 2007.

Grandma with Grant and Evelyn. February 28, 2008.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...