This is the back of the home I grew up in. It's walls contain many wonderful memories. It is an older home (1950's I think) with all new guts. My parents finished the basement about 20 years ago. (I just realized 20 years isn't really all that new. But it still feels new. Moving on...)
When I was in jr. high my parents' remodeled the living room. We tore down the ugly grey brick fireplace and put up a really nice wood one.
After I graduated from high school my parents' took on the biggest remodeling project ever. They pretty much gutted the entire upstairs. There was a short period of time when my parents' would get dressed, go out the front door, around to the back door, and downstairs to eat breakfast. It was a horrific project, but good grief it has almost been 10 years ago. Time flies by!
So now the next project begins. The home is plenty big, but last year we found out there are no big rooms! Trying to squeeze 9 adults and 2 babies into the living room with a Christmas tree, piano, couch, plant stand, end table and chair is just too tight of quarters. My parents got thinking that the family is only going to get bigger so we need a place for all of our bodies to dwell comfortably.
This is the idea put into action! A large room built onto the back of the house. The addition is further along now then this picture portrays, but it is still crazy to imagine it all done.
They had to rip out a part of the wall (where the bricks are torn off) to connect the addition to the house, so of course there was a mess inside the house. All of the computer stuff that was in the room is all over the house. It kind of stinks and my mom can't wait to have everything organized again. The part I am jealous about is under the addition is a 3 foot high storage area as big as the entire addition. (It was just a bi product of having to make the addition level with the upstairs level.)
My mom hates having her house turned upside down like a typhoon hit. I don't blame her one bit. Having to move the entire contents from one room to another would naturally create a huge mess. I tease her about really craving the mess because we seem to do this kind of big project every 5-10 years.
Everyone hopes it will be done by the holidays this year so we can enjoy the big space!




No comments:
Post a Comment