Friday, August 19, 2011

Fun Fun at the Nursing Home

One of my favorite years of college were when I lived with Jill and Leslie.  We had so many good times and so many laughs.  Jill's job was a frequent source of laughter and jokes.  She was a CNA at the time and was working at a nursing home and going to school.  (She is now a RN!  I would have her take care of me in a heart beat!)

The people at the nursing home were always doing funny things, especially at night when Jill worked. I can't remember any of the specific stories except a lady that thought there were germs or bugs all over the bed next to hers.  She wouldn't let anything of hers touch the bed.  Oh, I also remember a funny one about a a couple who were quadriplegic (Jill will remember, but it isn't really appropriate to share here).

I never dreamed I would work at a nursing home and like it.  I LOVE it!  I have learned so much and really enjoyed the therapy I do there.

I have shared a few funny things on facebook.  I have recently met a patient that has dementia (they all seem to have dementia).  She loves to play on the slot machines.  Obviously, her health doesn't allow her to go to the casinos and play slots.  So her family found a slot machine and put it in her room.  The woman sits at the slot machine all day long and pulls the handle.  You can hear "ching ching ching" all through the halls.  Everyone once in a while you will hear her yell, "I won! I won!"

Now that is the life!  Sit in a nursing home and use the same nickels over and over again.  She has her glass of tonic water or soda sitting next to her.  She probably plays slot machines 8-12 hours a day.  The family just brought in a second slot machine and she is in heaven.

It is really not that funny when it is all typed out, but now that I typed it I am going to post it.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Elise said...

I'm so glad you like your new job!!! Who knew?! You moved from one end of life to the other. :) So glad you liked and I think that is hilarious that she has her own slot machine!!!

jill said...

lol awesome i remember those stories all too well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...