Monday, September 10, 2012

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

I adapted this recipe off of allrecipes.com, but made it more healthy by reducing the sugar and milk.

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

1 cup of steel cut oats
4 cups of water
4 carrots shredded
1 apple peeled and shredded
1/2 cup of shredded pineapple with juice
2 cups raisins
1 TBSP of ground flax seed
3 TBSP brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
(chopped nuts optional I like walnuts)

1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add 1 cup of steel cut oats (I will sometimes soak my oats over night to make them a little softer and reduce cooking time. If you don't soak them cook the oats for about 30 minutes before adding other ingredients.)

2.  Reduce to medium heat and add carrot, apple, pineapple, flax seed, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and stir.  Cook until carrots are soft, about 20 minutes.

3.  Last 5 minutes add raisins.

4.  Serve warm with chopped nuts on top.

This makes a large batch!  You can cut the recipe in half and add a little more sugar.  It is not super sweet, but I like it that way.  I also use probably closer to double the spices because I like my oatmeal to have lots of flavor.  I refrigerate the left overs and eat them over a few days.  When I reheat I usually add a little almond milk, water or more pineapple juice because I like my oatmeal a little sloppy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...