The Good Earth by Pearl S. BuckMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I often get accused of not reading any "classics." The Good Earth is under "classics" in some lists and reviews so I think it counts.
I couldn't help but recognize the similarities between this story and the pride cycle in the scriptures. Wang Lung starts with nothing. He works from sun up to sun down. He doesn't stop for anything or anyone. When he gets married he is so humble and grateful for the CHANCE to get married.
By the end (don't read if you don't want it spoiled) Wang Lung doesn't even want to be seen with his wife. After years of being together and going through so much he just leaves her because she isn't good enough. Wang Lung becomes so prideful he ends up losing everything he worked so hard far.
It hurt to see how easy pride can slip in little bits at a time and then suddenly pride can take everything away. I really liked this book and enjoyed seeing a perfect example of the pride cycle. I would recommend this book because it was an interesting story, it had real life application, and no dirty language.
View all my reviews




1 comment:
I read this in HS and I remember really liking it!!
Post a Comment