Thursday, October 27, 2011

Kids' Run

 Grant has got into running and exercise since I began running races.  He will often tell me he has to go outside and get some exercise.  I think it is great!  I love to see him play outside.

I was supposed to run my first half marathon on the first weekend in October.  I had been doing a LOT of running and training to be ready for the race.  The race didn't happen... long story...but Grant keeps talking about how he wants to run a race and win a medal.

I found a kids run put on by the YMCA.  There were quite a few kids running the mile race.  Grant did a mile race last year with his friend Easton and did great!  He was really excited at the beginning.

He was so proud of his muscles, his cool race shirt, and the number pinned to his back.

Kyle said he did really good at the beginning of the race.  By the end he started getting frustrated.  He had noticed there weren't as many kids running.  Kyle also thinks he got a little bit of a side ache and by the end he was hot and tired.

When he saw me at the finish line he broke down into uncontrollable tears.  We couldn't get him calmed down for anything!  He didn't want the shiny medal or the treats they had.  It made Kyle and I feel like such jerks.
However, by the time we got home he was happy again and called his Granny to tell her all about the "big race."  We figured out part of the reason he was so upset is because he thinks he is Lightening McQueen.  McQueen always wins his "big races" and Grant wanted to win too.  It gave us a nice opportunity to talk about how we can't win all the time and how proud we are he can even run a mile.  We also told him he was the first place three year old.  This made things much better.

I didn't ever get a picture with him and his medal because we were trying to get him calmed down.  We couldn't be happier about Grant's effort and willingness to try hard things.  I don't know many 3 year olds who would run a mile.  Check that. I know many adults who would or COULD run a mile!  Way to go GRANT!

1 comment:

jessica said...

Go Grant!! I think he just out ran me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...