Kids say the most honest and crazy things ever. Here is one of the latest!
Background: I use the a lot of the Love and Logic parenting concepts. I really like most of their recommendations and advice on parenting. I don't use ALL of it, but a lot of it. One of Love and Logic's main principle is to have children figure out problems on their own. It is important for children to problem solve as to what went wrong and how to fix it. Therefore, I use the phrase "this is a problem" pretty frequently. I don't have to expand much more than that. Grant usually knows what the "problem" is and stops. (There is obviously more to the strategy than that, but you just really need to know the gist at this point.)
Saturday afternoon: Grant is acting up. Nothing really specific, just being obnoxious. I pipe up with the "this is a problem" statement. Now, most of the time this works pretty well. (It didn't at first, it has definitely taken time.) But today Grant continued to act up. I waited a few seconds to see if he would respond. He didn't. So I break out the consequence. "Grant this is a problem and when we have problems the ipad is off limits." His remark?
"I can have problems. I called my Granny and she said I could have problems!"
Well, isn't that just adorable! I couldn't help but smile. I hope you are smiling too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment