Sunday, December 1, 2013

"Christmas Means A Little Bit More"

I love the holidays! I love the spirit of the season.  It seems like everyone is a little kinder, more generous, and more Christ-like.

One of my favorite things to do is shop for people.  I usually think about a person and what I want to buy him/her for months!  I like to shop around and do some research about different items.  Buying a gift is a lengthy process.  For example, I have my brother this year and I thought of something I wanted to buy for him back in September.  I have thought of other things, but I really like this one particular item.  I have done some research and know exactly what one I want to buy.  I have been watching for sales this weekend to see if I can get a good price, but if I don't I will buy it any way.  I hope he will like it, but more importantly I hope he knows how much thought I put into the gift.

Speaking of "thought" I don't like the phrase "it's the thought that counts" because if someone really thought about a gift it wouldn't be something lame or something a person doesn't like.
I have been accused of being difficult to shop for.  I don't really think I am difficult to shop for.  The problem is I don't care so much about material items as much as I care about the thought.  I would rather have one very meaningful gift than 100 thoughtless ones. 

I don't like going to the stores around Christmas time because stores are covered in thoughtless gifts.  Thoughtless gifts often pre wrapped that won't mean a thing to the person receiving it.  Notice that after Christmas all those thoughtless gifts will be on clearance, why?  Because no one really wants or needs them.

As a child I remember wanting gifts and wanting to open presents.  I was excited for Santa to come.  I was excited to see what was in all those fancy packages.  As a young child Christmas came from a store.

However, like the Grinch figured out in the famous Dr. Suess story, "maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store.  Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more."  I too have figured out Christmas doesn't come from the store.

Looking back on past Christmas's the ones I remember the most are the ones where the gift giving meant something.  There have been a few years where I have bought or made a fabulous gift for someone.  I remember how I felt giving it and how much the person loved and appreciated it.  
I also remember a few Christmas's when someone has bought me something very special.  The gift meant more to me than anything else in the world.  I knew they had spent a lot of time and effort (not money) into the gift.  I knew they loved me and wanted me to have something special.

I don't always get the best gifts, but I really try.  I enjoy making things homemade.  I often make calendars for a few certain people.  I know they appreciate them.  I enjoy making them.  It takes me a while making sure everything is just so. 

Gift giving has been a small sore spot between Kyle and I.  Kyle's family had all the gifts come from Santa.  My family had just a few things come from Santa.  This may sound selfish, but I like the credit of picking out something amazing.  I don't want Santa to get all the credit.  I want my children to know I love them because I spent time and money picking out a gift special for them. 
Sometimes I also feel like Kyle and I just buy things to fill a certain quota.  It bugs me.  I like gifts to mean something.  I don't like to just buy stuff because I have to be fair.  

I will be honest I have been a little grumpy lately because I am stressed about gifts.  I don't like it.  I want the happy feeling I get when I buy gifts.  I want to feel the  true meaning of Christmas.  With that I wish you all a wonderful shopping season!  Best wishes in your gift giving endeavors!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...