When Pa is Sick.
When Pa is sick, he's scared to death,
An' Ma an' us just holds our breath.
He crawls in bed and puffs an' grunts,
And does all kinds of crazy stunts.
He wants Doc Brown and mighty quick,
For when Pa's ill he's awful sick.
He gasps an' groans, and sorta sighs,
He talks so queer, and rolls his eyes.
Ma jumps an' runs and all of us,
And all the house is in a fuss.
And peach an' joy is mighty skeerce--
When Pa is sick it's something fierce.
When Ma is Sick
When Ma is sick, she pegs away;
She's quiet, though, not much to say.
She goes right on a-doin' things,
An' sometimes laughs, or even sings.
She says she don't feel extra well,
But then it's just a kind a spell.
She'll be all right tomorrow, sure,
A good old sleep will be the cure.
An' Pa he sniffs an' makes no kick,
For women folks is always sick.
An' Ma, she smiles, lets on she's glad,
When Ma is sick it ain't so bad.
I thought this poem was by Shel Silverstein, but it is not. I grew up with my Mom and Aunt Carol reciting this poem all the time. it is one of my favorite poems, and I bet you can't guess why. I also bet you can't guess why I am posting this poem today.




No comments:
Post a Comment