Monday, June 17, 2013

In Quiet Desperation


In Quiet Desperation: Understanding the Challenge of Same-Gender AttractionIn Quiet Desperation: Understanding the Challenge of Same-Gender Attraction by Fred Matis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

  I am really tired of all the gay right crap!  Yet I can't stop thinking and talking about it.  I have heard a variety of reasons why people are "gay."  I have never really been comfortable with any of them.  I found all the reasons to sound a little pathetic, to be honest.  I am very much a heterosexual and personally could not possibly understand how anyone could be otherwise.  I picked up this book to gain further understanding about people who are attracted to the same sex.

This book definitely served it's purpose.  Fred and Marilyn Matis did an excellent job explaining how they, as parents of a child who struggled with same-gender attraction, coped with all of the personal "baggage."  I would do anything to meet these parents because they sound like they truly understand Christ-like love.

The second half of the book is written by Ty and WOW!  I am amazed at the inner peace this young 26 year old has.  He goes through numerous details of how he awful and depressed he felt, even as a young man, when he realized he wasn't like his peers.  Ty shares a number of very personal experience that nearly break your heart to think anyone would feel that awful about himself.  I felt so bad for this young man that I wept with him.  I couldn't imagine how he must have felt.

I am so grateful I read this book.  I now have a better understanding of people who struggle with same-gender attraction.  I realize people have their own opinions, but after reading this book I feel I can be more understanding to people who struggle with same-gender attraction.  I will never support gay marriage.  I still believe marriage should be between man and woman.  I do, however,  have a better understanding of how "gay" people must feel.

In addition to understanding for same-gender attraction I have also increased my understanding of personal worth.  I was deeply touched by the authors' beliefs that we are all children of God and he loves us.  I have believed this since I was a little child, but this book has strengthened that knowledge in a way I can't explain.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone.  It is very insightful.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...