Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Sleeping Night


The Sleeping NightThe Sleeping Night by Barbara Samuel
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I usually don't care for romance novels, but this one was pretty good.  The book is based during the 1940's just after World War II.  The troops are just coming home when the story begins.

The author does a great job telling the characters' past and present at the same time.  Each chapter starts with letters from the two main characters, Angel and Isaiah.  I enjoyed the two main characters, Angel and Isaiah a lot, because the author made them so interesting.  You learn a lot about their personality and character quickly because of the letters and also the "current" events in the novel.  I think it is a unique way of writing and I enjoyed it.

The story is of an atypical love story between a white woman and a black man during a time when such a thing was completely outrageous.  The two love birds have to keep their affections and friendship a secret otherwise they could be killed.

There is no swearing.  A short sex scene towards the end of the book.  Otherwise the book is clean.  I noticed quite a few typos and grammatical errors.  I don't know if it is because I was reading the ebook version or not.  It was annoying.  Otherwise,  a great book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...