The Color Purple by Alice WalkerMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I picked up this book because it is considered more of a classic novel and I haven't read a classic in a while. I also wanted to read the book before I watched the movie. I think books are better than movies 99% of the time and if I don't like the book I won't watch the movie. I probably won't watch this movie.
I loved the beginning of this book. I found it fascinating. The grammar of Celie and her family intrigued me and I really liked it at first. It got old after a while though and I found it confusing at times. I had to keep rereading portions of the text to remember who was talking. I think this would make a great audio book. As an audio book the reader could really get into the different voices of character. I think it would also be less confusing as the reader.
Celie is an amazing character! I loved her strength and wisdom. She had such a rough childhood and you can't help but feel sorry for her. In the middle of the book Celie meets Shug and I didn't like Shug at all. I thought Shug was a distraction to an otherwise amazing book of characters. Just when I about couldn't stand the book Nettie enters the scene.
I love Nettie and her story of living as a missionary in Africa. It was very intriguing and well written in my opinion.
Two main things bugged me about the book. One being that "Mr. ____" all of of the sudden makes a complete character flip. He was mean and abusive one minute and than all of the sudden he is Celie's friend. I am ok with characters changing, but I like to be a part of the change. The other thing that really bugged me was the lack of knowing how much time had passed. I would have liked dates on the letters or something to let the reader know how much time had passed. At one point I thought just a few months had gone by and than in one of Nettie's letters she mentions living in Africa for 30 years. Holy smokes! How did that happen?
There was a LOT of swearing which I don't care for. Some sex scenes including rape and same gender sex.
View all my reviews




No comments:
Post a Comment