Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Mission Field


As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we have often heard people talk about "the mission field" and see picture similar to the ones posted above.  

First, some back ground information...
Today at church we had a missionary farewell for Sister Sadie Peterson, who is going to be serving in the Oslo, Norway mission.  Kyle served in Oslo and since the mission isn't very common, like Brazil, she was really excited to talk to Kyle.  She mostly wanted advice on climate and what to expect for weather.  

Sister Peterson is full of the love of the gospel and will make a wonderful missionary.  Hearing her talk about going out into the mission field reminded me of a childhood memory.

As a child I remember having "fancy" pictures on our sacrament meeting programs.  There were a couple of different missionary ones, but one I remember specifically had a picture of two missionaries standing in a wheat field.  People would often talk about heading into the missionary field, serving in the mission field, finding investigators in the mission field, and so on.  

I remember thinking it was great to have all these wonderful experiences in the mission field, but I couldn't help wondering how they found all these people in a wheat field.  I also found it somewhat of a tragedy to have all these handsome young men and women in nice dresses and suits basically farming!  I also could never imagine going on a mission myself and having to wear a dress just to work in a stinking wheat field.

Sister Peterson made a comment today about she has always known she wanted to serve a mission.  She told a story of how even when she was a little girl she would one day serve a mission.  I on the other hand had no intention what so ever of trying to find people in a wheat field, or any other type of field for that matter.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...